Tuesday 29 April 2014

"Fluid" abstract inspired by FingerFood - TPTC

Hey y'all!

Welcome to another Tri-Polish Tuesday!  Today's look is brought to you in just about every way by the lovely and talented Sam at FingerFood.  If you aren't familiar, you definitely need to first crawl out from under your rock, then hop on over and check out her blog, because she does some of the most amazing artwork on her nails.  I've had the privilege of befriending her over these past few months as a budding nail blogger, and when she learned that I was having trouble finding good cheap neon polishes in my part of the country, she offered to help me fix that problem!  Last week I got a little package containing some LA Colors neons, and a surprise bonus leather effect polish from Pretty that my local Poundland doesn't carry.  How sweet is that?  I felt the only appropriate way to repay her was to do this week's Tri-Polish in her signature style, using the colors that she'd sent me, and so I present you with this...


As you can see, I've stuck with the three basic Tri-Polish colors this month of blue, pink, and yellow... only today they're all neons!  You'll also notice that my oval/almond talons are gone - frankly I just got tired of shaping them, and they were getting way too long anyway, because Mr. Faff has started picking up unexplained scratch wounds in the middle of the night, and I am pretty sure there are no chupacabras in the UK.  However, I will report back as to whether he stayed the night on May 13-15, or if I wake on those nights to an empty bed and the neighbor starts complaining about his birds going missing.

L-R: Pure Ice Superstar!, LA Colors Aquatic, LA Colors Flicker, Pretty Leather Look (unnamed pink)
Application began as it always should when using neon polishes, with a white base color to make the colors POP. 


I used the bottle brush to apply the blue neon polish in Sam's signature flowy look.  This part is really pretty simple, because it doesn't have to look like anything, but should maintain soft curves and avoid hard angles.  The first coat was a bit thin, so I did go back and apply a second coat of the blue to make it stand out.  I left enough white space between the segments of blue to be able to apply the yellow afterward, again with the bottle brush, but the yellow only needed one coat. 


Once the yellow and blue were dry, I used a small striping brush to apply the leather-textured pink polish where the blue and yellow met.  This actually turned out to be a bit more difficult than I anticipated, because the polish wanted to dry a bit quickly on me, and it didn't flow very smoothly, so I ended up having to go over the lines several times in some places.  The brush got away from me on my pinky, and you can see where I ended up just covering over a whole yellow section with the pink because there was no hope to salvage it.  It was definitely a lot harder to keep those lines soft and curvy (and thin), but I'm fairly satisfied with what I was able to accomplish, and I think it looks a lot like Sam's style.  Since the pink was a different texture than the glossy blue and yellow, I wanted to bring them together, so I sealed everything under a coat of HK Girl for a full glossy finish.  It ended up reminding me of a reef fish, and now I want to set up a saltwater aquarium and paint my fishies like this.


As great as I thought it looked glossy, I couldn't resist mattifying it "just to see," so I put on a single coat of NYC Matte Me Crazy.  I think I prefer it glossy, though.


So that's it... my first truly "inspired by" look from another nail artist.  Do you think it looks like something Sam would've painted? 

Hope you're all off to a fantastic week, and I'll see you tomorrow!  In the mean time, do check out the last of the pink, yellow, and blue looks from the Nail Tarts, because next week we shift to three new colors!




7 comments:

  1. I definitely think its something Sam would've painted! And she sounds awesome by the way - I must go and check out her blog!!! ;) Seriously though, thanks for the amazing write up, and those nails! Damn, girl! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! She's totally awesome. I'm such a fangirl :)

      Delete
  2. I just hopped over and checked out FingerFood, and her nails are just as brilliant as yours. I love the colours you've used here in this one! <3

    http://olivia-savannah.blogspot.nl/2014/04/sherlock-holmes-game-of-shadows.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm so glad you went to see her blog. She's amazing, isn't she?

      Delete
  3. I must be hungry because this reminds me of bacon. I hope you take this as the best compliment ever because bacon is the best thing ever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne, I'm gonna need you to set those sugar cubes on the ground and slowly step away from the LSD. :)

      Delete
  4. Fabulous job! I knew exactly who you were inspired by! Love it!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments and reply whenever I have time. Thanks for reading and interacting with me!