Saturday 22 March 2014

Hey Swatch It! e.l.f. Sea Escape

Hey y'all!

Today I have a super dark pretty to show you.  Because it's so dark, I wanted to get it posted before we all turn our attention completely to fresh bright spring and summer colors.  However, just because it's dark doesn't mean it's not beautiful!  This is elf Sea Escape.



I picked up this glimmery little number back in the late fall, when I attended the elf Cardiff store VIP opening event, and sadly it sat in my untrieds for far too long.  It's a black crelly jam-packed with purple, teal, and green microglitters, making it resemble the deep ocean depths, but only when you take the time and effort to really look at them.  From arm's length, it appears glossy black on the nail.  This also made it extremely hard to photograph.

One of the very few pictures I could get of the sparkle in my lightbox.
I tried and tried in my lightbox to get a good photo set for y'all, but it just wasn't happening.  I got the above picture and a macro for you before moving out of the lightbox and focusing two lamps on my nails, trying to capture the depth of the polish.

I even needed my tiny LED book light to make it work, hence the bright blue tint.
However, once I got out of the box, things got a lot better.


Shown here is two very easy coats of Sea Escape.  My only complaint about application is that you have to be SUPER careful with it around your cuticles, or potentially have a huge mess when you try to clean up.  Two reasons for this:  first, it's black polish, and second, it's filled with microglitter.  Either of those two elements make for a messy cleanup in the cuticle area, but when you put them together, it makes four times the mess!


I do love the way it catches the light, but of course the flashes are so small that anyone at a distance wouldn't be able to see them.  By distance, I mean any more than arm's length.  Even in full sunlight.


I wish I could say that it was just my poor photo setup that makes the depth of the polish hard to see but unfortunately these are pretty accurate to what you see in person.  Even macros don't really bring it out of hiding...


All in all, this is definitely a polish for those who ordinarily like wearing black polish.  I think it's gorgeous and would make a nice backdrop for nail art, but it probably won't be one that I'll be turning to again and again for daily wear. 

Hope you're all having a great weekend, and I'll see ya Tuesday!


7 comments:

  1. Thanks for the honest review! I do think it's pretty! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely believe in being honest - otherwise what's the point? But it's definitely a pretty color. Thank you!

      Delete
  2. Oooh looks really nice and dark and shiny! I haven't heard of the bran Elf before, but it's certainly on its way to making a good impression!

    http://olivia-savannah.blogspot.nl/2014/04/liebster-blog-award-part-2.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I'm certainly happy to introduce you to the brand, because they are AMAZING products. The whole concept was to deliver high-end product for low-end prices, and while there are a few flops for me, I'd say that I was completely happy with about 98% of the line. On the plus side, there's going to be a LOT more e.l.f. coming to the blog soon, but I'm not really ready to release details yet. Stay tuned!

      Delete

I love reading your comments and reply whenever I have time. Thanks for reading and interacting with me!