Thursday 9 January 2014

GOT Polish Challenge - Pinks: Swampy Hearts

Hey y'all!

Today marks the beginning of ANOTHER challenge put forth by the lovely ladies of Crumpet's Nail Tarts.  Debbie's idea was simple:  start using up all those unloved polishes at the back of our stash drawers.  Thus was created the Golden Oldies Thursday (GOT) Polish Challenge.

The rules are simple:

  • the polish you use should be at least one year old
  • if you haven't been a polishaholic that long, you can use the oldest polishes you have
  • the polish should be previously used, but if you're stuck, you could free a yearling from Mount Untried
  • you can use more than 1 polish as long as it fits the theme and the rules



I have to admit, when I read the very first theme, I almost backed out right away, but after reading the rest of the list, I figured it was better to get the worst part over with so I could enjoy the rest of the challenge.  Most of my stash was collected this year, but as it turns out I did have quite a few bottles that qualified for this challenge, mostly elf and a few CoverGirl and Revlon bottles made the trip overseas with me.  The rest of my then-pitiful stash went to my roommate's young niece who didn't care that they were old and kind of goopy.  Sorry, Buddy!  (Cuz that's really her nickname, not cuz she's gender-confused.)

ANYWAY... I actually do have a few pinks in my collection and a couple that even qualified as oldies, so I figured I could get this mani over and out the door.  I also managed to play with a new-to-me technique along the way.

Colors Used:
elf Plum
Kiss striper in Pink
elf Passion Pink

Yes, I'm aware that one of the colors is purple, but Plum is sort of a pinky purple, right?  Mostly I needed something dark enough that I could stamp with it and still cover it over it with the ultra sheer Passion Pink.  I had two other elf pinks in my qualifying stack, but they weren't dark enough to work for this technique.  I present to you the Swampy Hearts jelly stampwich.


To create this look, I started with 3 coats of Passion Pink to give a nice opaque base.  Then I stamped the floating hearts image from MoYou London's Princess Collection plate 10 in Plum.   Once that was dry, I layered another coat of Passion Pink over the top, and sealed it in with SV.


Although I did this with every nail, my pinky just did not want to play nicely, and I couldn't get the last layer of pink sheer enough to see the stamping underneath, so I topped it with a free-handed heart with my bright pink striper.



I have to admit that whereas I still hate pink, and this look is a bit cutesy for my taste, it was fun trying a new technique, and this would be a suitable Valentine's look for girls who are into that sort of thing.

As a side note, although I have a whole mess of polishes still in my box to swatch for you, I'm going to have to put those off for a couple of weeks because I just received a huge batch of editing to do on a fairly tight deadline, so my posts will be mostly limited to challenges until I get that off my plate.  However, with 3 nail challenges plus the #2014BloggerChallenge running, that still gives LOTS of new stuff to check out.  If you don't want to miss an update, follow me on Bloglovin, Networked Blogs, Facebook, and/or Twitter, or add me to your current blog reader program.  As such, I will probably be fairly quiet until next week, so I hope you all have a great weekend and stay warm!

Also, don't forgot to share the love by browsing some of the other GOT Polish challenge entries, below.


9 comments:

  1. I really like that you've made like a jelly sandwich with stamping. Nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I'm having way too much fun experimenting with stamping!

      Delete
  2. I love that effect it looks really great :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't remember all that I said in the previous comment! :) But I love this! The colors, the stamping are perfect. I've tried this technique and mine has never come out as well as yours! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was pretty much exactly what you said in the original comment. Thank you so much for taking the time to repost it and share some love. Not sure what I would've done differently from you to get different results, though!

      Delete
  4. I love your page, I love your pattern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thanks! I found it in the blogger templates options.

      Delete

I love reading your comments and reply whenever I have time. Thanks for reading and interacting with me!