Saturday 25 January 2014

#2014BloggerChallenge - Skincare

Hey y'all!

The second theme of the #2014 Blogger Challenge is Skincare.

Admittedly, I have not, in the past, done a whole lot in terms of skincare beyond normal cleansing (like, when I shower) and putting on sunscreen if I was going to be continually exposed for more than an hour (because I have fair skin).  I never suffered the horrible acne that some of my friends experienced as a teen, and even through my 20s and early 30s a breakout was having 2 spots on my face, which always healed fairly quickly anyway.  I diligently removed any makeup I'd put on before I went to sleep, and I never really had any problems.



However, as I reached the hump of my 30s I finally started noticing that my skin was drying out, whereas I'd always been more on the oily side before, and the pimples I was getting were rather cystic, so I decided maybe I should do a little more work on my skin.  I started by ditching my body soap in favor of a facial cleanser (which I still only use in the shower) that contains tea tree oil, known for its antibiotic properties.

My recommendation?
Body Shop Tea Tree Skin Clearing Foaming Cleanser


Additionally, I've added a daily moisturizing serum to my arsenal.  Although the box says this is for 40+, I figure I'm close enough to 40, and I've also noticed those "fine lines and wrinkles" creeping in on me, so I turned to one of the most established skincare companies around.

What I use?

Olay Anti-Wrinkle Firm & Lift 2-in-1 Day Cream + Serum


Sorry to say, that's really all I do to maintain my skin.  I firmly believe that skin problems are almost 90% genetic, so all I can say is that I'm happy to have good skin genes?  If it helps, I got fat genes too, so it's not like my genetic bag was all chocolate and no coal.

Oh, one thing I also want to mention - since I've started this blog, I've noticed that my hands have begun suffering the effects of age as well, so I definitely keep lotions and cuticle oils on hand at all times now to try and keep them looking a bit better.  Unfortunately I think I'm still going to wind up with my grandmother's hands (my mom and my aunt both have them) eventually, but maybe I can forestall the process a bit.  At least til I'm in my 50s, right?

Sound off below and let me know what your biggest skincare challenges are, and how you combat them.  I'd love to hear!

If you'd like to read other #2014BloggerChallenge posts regarding skincare, Gaby has them all collected for you!



4 comments:

  1. I love the Tea tree line from Bodyshop. Their face mask is to die for. Been a huge favorite in my family, my brother keeps stealing mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I haven't tried any of their masks. I'll have to take a look next time I'm in town. Thanks for the tip!

      Delete
  2. I haven't tried any of those. But a simpler routine would be lovely! But my skin would dry and crack off my face and then well, I guess my routine would be easy! Hahaha! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well if that happened, we'd just have to figure out a way to plaster you back on, and seal it in with a good topcoat. Easy peasy!

      Delete

I love reading your comments and reply whenever I have time. Thanks for reading and interacting with me!