Friday 20 September 2013

Hey, Swatch It! - George Denim Effect Nails

Welcome to my first swatch/review post.  Today I'll be reviewing the George Denim Effect Nail polish, which is a limited edition available in two colors: blue or black.

So I was cruising thru ASDA, which is the UK version of Walmart (sue me, I was tired of shopping at Tesco), and of course I had a little wander through the makeup aisle. I came across this:


Priced at £3, I thought this would make a great addition to my new polish collection, since I'd seen the swatches for the Nails, Inc version and thought they looked very on-trend.

The polish comes in a 9ml bottle, which is smaller than standard but for an "effect" polish that's probably pretty reasonable.  I'm not sure I'll ever go through the entire bottle as it is.  The application is good - where the bottle recommends 2-3 coats, I was able to get full coverage in just one coat.  It applies as a shiny navy blue with silver shimmers, but quickly dries (about a minute) to a semi-matte, denim hue.
Indoor, natural light
In sunlight




















One of my fingers has two coats on, but I bet you can't tell which one!


I wasn't quite happy with the finish as it came, so I experimented with topcoats. Here, my index and ring finger are carrying Seche Vite Dry Fast Top Coat, and my middle and pinky and wearing OPI Matte Top Coat. 



Since I sat on this polish for a while before finally getting around to writing posts, I have already used it in a bit of nail art, which was shown in my last post. Here it is again so you don't have to go digging.  I used Maybelline Tanned & Ready (which I will be swatch/reviewing in a future post), then slid the George Denim across the tips, and topcoated with the OPI Matte.
So, bottom line?  Whereas I don't think it gives a highly denim "effect", it's a decent, affordable polish with good coverage and wearability.  I don't regret skipping the black version, however, because who wears black denim anymore, anyway?  The bottle is marked as limited edition, so I'm not sure how long this will be available in stores, and to date I have not found an online retailer for this product.  Sorry.

What do you think about the denim look in nail polish?  Would you try it?